Deep Breath
A daily journal.
The reason I don't do these is because of consistency. If I update once every two months, what's the point? Knowing myself, I would go into a posting coma eventually during finals or some other major occurrence, and wouldn't come out.
Now, though, for the first time in years, my life is stable. I have a steady job, an apartment, and, as always, a muse that demands to write.
And so here we are.
Reading a few other people's random musings, I have come up with the following ground rules for my journal:
1) Write for no one. I will not fashion messages towards any single person, group, or whatnot. In fact, unless people leave comments, I won't even know who's reading. That's cool. I plan on never withholding content just because a certain person or certain people will read it.
2) My own voice. This is almost a corollary to the first. Since I'm writing for no one, I will write in my own voice. Everyone acts differently depending on their surroundings - the voice you use for your family isn't the same one you use for your close friends, or your coworkers, or your significant other, or your pet. So if you're reading this, you'll probably here a different tone than you're used to. That's ok. It's just another side of me you haven't seen. Think of it as a way to see me in different scenarios. It's all good.
3) Update! Which, as I mentioned before, I now can do with regularity. So there may be a day or two gone by, or a weekend for the occasional out-of-town weekend or family holiday. But for the most part, check it out, I'll be on.
"To be forgotten is worse than death." More bitter words I cannot think of. This journal, hopefully, will help prevent that.
Until then.
The reason I don't do these is because of consistency. If I update once every two months, what's the point? Knowing myself, I would go into a posting coma eventually during finals or some other major occurrence, and wouldn't come out.
Now, though, for the first time in years, my life is stable. I have a steady job, an apartment, and, as always, a muse that demands to write.
And so here we are.
Reading a few other people's random musings, I have come up with the following ground rules for my journal:
1) Write for no one. I will not fashion messages towards any single person, group, or whatnot. In fact, unless people leave comments, I won't even know who's reading. That's cool. I plan on never withholding content just because a certain person or certain people will read it.
2) My own voice. This is almost a corollary to the first. Since I'm writing for no one, I will write in my own voice. Everyone acts differently depending on their surroundings - the voice you use for your family isn't the same one you use for your close friends, or your coworkers, or your significant other, or your pet. So if you're reading this, you'll probably here a different tone than you're used to. That's ok. It's just another side of me you haven't seen. Think of it as a way to see me in different scenarios. It's all good.
3) Update! Which, as I mentioned before, I now can do with regularity. So there may be a day or two gone by, or a weekend for the occasional out-of-town weekend or family holiday. But for the most part, check it out, I'll be on.
"To be forgotten is worse than death." More bitter words I cannot think of. This journal, hopefully, will help prevent that.
Until then.
Labels: Forest Not Trees

<< Home