Name:
Location: Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania, United States

Saturday, December 04, 2004

The Voices In My Head Tell Me They're Not There

(and I believe them)

If that quote doesn't define this blog, then nothing does.

I'm sitting in class right now, paying for skipping out of college before I was technically done to get a job I love. Give and take - I get an amazingly well-paying job in the city I love that has my family and friends at a company that is wonderfully people-oriented and has great benefits. In return, I have to keep going to class (and paying for it), including waking up at 7:00 AM to get down into the city in class until 5:30 PM. It's really not horrendous. For one, it keeps me on a good schedule, since I have to get up at 6:30 AM for work every day. For another, I can write in this blog.

My sister (the middle one) was just named second-team All-State after making first-team All-WPIAL. YEAH! Good to see that the middle blocker talent runs in the bloodline. And now my youngest brother is going out for the volleyball team, probably as an outside hitter since he's built a little more like my Uncle Wynn, i.e. he'll be 6'1"/6'2" and strong as a bull, whereas I'm 6'7" and strong as a woodchuck. An angry woodchuck, granted. But a woodchuck nonetheless.

For the 8th consecutive year, I'm playing with Nate Wildfire on a volleyball team. The winter season of the Pittsburgh Sports League is held in the Downtown YMCA, all of 10 feet from my work. I'm going to get out of work and walk across the street for a game. But even better than that is that another of the sports they're offering is...DODGEBALL! Now, tell me you've played a good game of dodgeball after, say, 6th grade. I still remember the days where that was the game of choice over b-ball or soccer or football. Until they made it illegal, of course. Which is ridiculous - I had so many more injuries from other sports than dodgeball.
Regardless, I am pumped for the dodgeball season. I'm already recruiting friends, coworkers... it's going to be a blast. Part of the minus of being a computer programmer is that I am required to be sitting - in the same seat - for about 10 hours a day. People who know me know I usually have a lot of energy. Without an outlet, I feel compelled to sing - and that's just bad for everyone.

Hey, without the Penguins, we all do what we can. The Steelers are all I have left!

Labels:

0 Comments:

<< Home