Needles and Scalpels
(not a tonsils' best friend)
This will be a short entry, one that I'm writing only because I love this blog, but if you're reading this you may not want to be eating. Today I went to the doctor's as this sickness that has followed me around all month has come back with a vengeance. He took one look at me and diagnosed tonsilitis. He sent me to an ear, nose, and throat specialist, who took one look at me and said that I had an abcess. "Nurse, we'll need some needles and a scalpel," he said joivially as he put on rubber gloves. "We'll need to get rid of this."
I can now say from my own personal experience that a doctor inserting a very long needle five times into your inflamed tonsils is one of the least pleasant experiences in life. The pain radiated all through my skull, and it was just torture to have it held in there while he examined the effects.
THEN came the scalpel.
Basically he was busy cutting away the bad parts that had infected my tonsils, but I couldn't tell from the amount of pain I was in. We had to stop every 15 seconds or so so I could spit a mouthful of blood into their thoughtfully deep spitting thing. It was intense.
Then, after he had opened it up enough, he went in with a pair of forceps, actually putting them in the holes he had slashed open in my tonsils and squeezing and pulling them to empty them of pus. Oh man. To have someone cut open your inflamed tonsils and then pull them and squeeze them with an extremely bloody pair of forceps was one of the highlights of this entire sickness.
I am now on heavy antibiotics and painkillers. We think this will finally go away. I can only hope. My next doctor's appointment is Wednesday.
I hope to be back then...
This will be a short entry, one that I'm writing only because I love this blog, but if you're reading this you may not want to be eating. Today I went to the doctor's as this sickness that has followed me around all month has come back with a vengeance. He took one look at me and diagnosed tonsilitis. He sent me to an ear, nose, and throat specialist, who took one look at me and said that I had an abcess. "Nurse, we'll need some needles and a scalpel," he said joivially as he put on rubber gloves. "We'll need to get rid of this."
I can now say from my own personal experience that a doctor inserting a very long needle five times into your inflamed tonsils is one of the least pleasant experiences in life. The pain radiated all through my skull, and it was just torture to have it held in there while he examined the effects.
THEN came the scalpel.
Basically he was busy cutting away the bad parts that had infected my tonsils, but I couldn't tell from the amount of pain I was in. We had to stop every 15 seconds or so so I could spit a mouthful of blood into their thoughtfully deep spitting thing. It was intense.
Then, after he had opened it up enough, he went in with a pair of forceps, actually putting them in the holes he had slashed open in my tonsils and squeezing and pulling them to empty them of pus. Oh man. To have someone cut open your inflamed tonsils and then pull them and squeeze them with an extremely bloody pair of forceps was one of the highlights of this entire sickness.
I am now on heavy antibiotics and painkillers. We think this will finally go away. I can only hope. My next doctor's appointment is Wednesday.
I hope to be back then...

<< Home