Name:
Location: Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania, United States

Tuesday, July 21, 2009

This Is My Life

(this is my only life)

The phrase is, "No news is good news." That seems pretty valid, in the sense that this is one of the longest breaks in this blog, and coincides with the greatest time of my entire life. Indeed, I do this more as a courtesy, as I don't feel the need to write (in my blog) much. There is little I need to figure out. My life is very, very, very blessed.

Foremost is Casey. Pandora (my romantic muse) and Caissa (my writing muse) are off-the-charts giddy and excited. I could write a thousand paragraphs on what she means to me - but will simply state that I have found my match, my friend, my confidant, my lover, my teammate, my challenger, my supporter, and my love. For all those who still search and yearn for such a person, know that I passed up a chance to settle, had to wait two and a half years filled with many questioning thoughts and wonderings about whether I would ever find someone who made me truly happy. Then came the random Friday night when I went to a gathering where I told myself I didn't even want to meet anyone and was only going to see friends... and my life changed, instantly and irrevocably. It was all the cliches. Love at first sight. It will happen when you least expect it.
Maybe yours won't work the same way, but in my case, I had to simultaneously stop looking so hard and make sure I was out there for that to happen. And I thank God daily that it did. My prayers were answered.

Sports are fun. After a tough time over the last few weeks because my heart acted up again - necessitating a hospital visit in Maui on our only family vacation west of Kansas ever - I've been tentative. But after DW's bachelor party weekend, I've realized that this is my life. This is my only life. And I will not let this rule my life. I have to push through.

Dave is getting married. :) I am so excited for the wedding. Jess is a great girl. Dave seems excited and content, a good combo. Casey has already bought a dress. I think this might be one of the best dancing opportunities of my life so far.

My city is doing amazing.
The Steelers won the Super Bowl... and I was there, in person. I was at the 18 yard line, some 33 rows back, on the end zone that James Harrison scored into after he ran across my whole field of vision. I saw Ben scramble right in front of me four or five times and marveled that he even survived, much less made critical plays. I saw Santonio Holmes's catch in a perfect window and stunning snapshot in my mind. I agonized over every reviewed call without the benefit of instant replay. We celebrated like mad.
My Penguins won the Stanley Cup, and I was in person for the entire regular season and playoff run, including Games 3, 4, and 6 of the Stanley Cup Final at Mellon Arena. I attended Game 4 with Case; it was one of the seminal sporting moments of our lives (and our relationship). We were both at the parade (with DW) with another 374,997 people. It was all so surreal. It was a script that was written four years ago... and then came true. That is what never fails to astonish me. The Game 7 experience, watched with my family, was a tie with the Super Bowl in intensity. I held hands with Case tightly, paced back and forth, laid on the kitchen table and groaned in agony. I don't even remember what happened after the last-second save Fleury made. I can't believe we did it. Arguably the most amazing championship I've ever seen.
The city is beautiful. It will host the G-20 soon, and is as gorgeous as ever to watch from Mt. Washington or to see coming through the Fort Pitt Tunnel. I've visited other big cities, like Philly and New York, but only Pittsburgh makes me feel part of it. I feel so connected to it... and so does Case. We are happy here. We feel at home here. Yay, Pittsburgh.

I'm still employed at work - even though I am writing this right now - and have the opportunity to perhaps continue schooling, if my heart is in it.

I haven't done much writing lately, mostly because of Casey - in the best way - but still think about it and love it as much as ever when I do it. I am literally hours away from being done with the first ten chapters, and capable of handing 145 pages to anyone and say, "This is the beginning of my story." That is the length of the entire book I wrote in high school. That is exciting.

5725 Phillips, in Squirrel Hill, where I've lived for four years - as long as college - is ending. Dave has moved in with Jess. Nate is buying a house. I may not follow him to it, but will look back at that time - the 5725 Phillips Ave - as the height of my bachelorhood and transition into something else. Drinking on the steps, late night bears/baseball/boobs, random wandering around the apartment in boxers, eating when you could. Total madness. Totally wonderful.

To all those who wrote nicely about this blog - maybe most eloquently summed up by Ryan Corbi, a friend from afar who wrote a note that I think about much more often than he probably guesses - hoped for more updates.

I will try to keep them coming, so check back, if you wish; I sure as hell will not abandon this writing space. I've grown to like it, and will need it in the future, I am sure.

But this is my life.

And no news, for right now, means the best news of all.

I am happy.

Labels: , ,