Small Earthquake
(breeze coming through)
Today I arrived at work at 8 AM. I proclaim, if not health, normalcy. And that means the blog is back on schedule! I've had it with this sickness... and missed days of blogging. I've come to like this thing.
Congratulations to the Patriots. Love or hate, for them to win three Super Bowls in four years in the salary cap era is utterly amazing. And they've done it from the day in 2001 when the Rams had all the fireworks going off as they announced all their star players as part of "The Greatest Show on Turf"... and the Patriots chose to be announced as a team. No individual accolades. One for all and all for one. And it's worked.
Besides, it was a great game. Philly put up a major fight. They'll be a force again next year - though hopefully not as much of one as the Steelers will be.
The Super Bowl also marks the beginning of the dreaded black hole of Pittsburgh sports. This city has, is, and always will be a football town, but whenever the Steelers are done playing, Mellon Arena is rocking during Penguins games. But with the NHL lockout, there's... nothing. All I can look forward to is the Pirates spring training in April??
I know I've lamented about this before, but really, this is a dire situation.
Yesterday I got to have a great writing conference with Martin, who gave me a number of ideas about magic. My magic system has a small but annoying hole in its logic regarding blocking, and I needed to hash out some ideas about what was feasible and what wasn't. Some interesting theories were proposed, including the idea of magical injury. Then I got to talk to Margaret over IM, who took the discussion one step farther and suggested that for blocks to only have 'one setting' was disanalogous (I think that's a word) to the rest of the system. Intriguing ideas. My muse will be working on this heavily.
Julie is coming up this weekend for Valentine's Day. I am happy and wary at the same time, as a number of my friends have suddenly had problems of the women variety recently. In a discussion with one of them, I brought up a Calvin and Hobbes comic which I think just about sums up the entire relations between the genders. Calvin has built a duplicator that creates a copy of himself, but it's only a copy of his good side. So he has his good side duplicate clean up his room, go to school, do his chores, etc. What he doesn't realize is that Calvin's duplicate also has a crush on Susie next door, and starts writing her love notes. He takes them over to Susie, and Susie - thinking this is Calvin - takes them as sarcasm and kicks him out. Meanwhile Calvin hears from Hobbes that the duplicate has left to give Susie love notes and he's stunned - his reputation is at stake - and sprints over to Susie's house to stop him.
Calvin: (knock knock)
Susie: You again?
Calvin(frowning): Uh oh. Was I here before?
Susie: What? Of course you were!
Calvin: Uh oh. I'm not still here, am I?
Susie: YOU'RE STANDING RIGHT THERE!
Calvin: WELL ANYONE CAN SEE THAT! AM I HERE ANYWHERE ELSE?!?
Susie's door: (slam)
Calvin(walking away): Sheesh. Who can fathom the female mind?
Hobbes: I like 'em anyway.
God must be laughing himself sick up there at his results of his two gender decision. Priceless entertainment.
Today I arrived at work at 8 AM. I proclaim, if not health, normalcy. And that means the blog is back on schedule! I've had it with this sickness... and missed days of blogging. I've come to like this thing.
Congratulations to the Patriots. Love or hate, for them to win three Super Bowls in four years in the salary cap era is utterly amazing. And they've done it from the day in 2001 when the Rams had all the fireworks going off as they announced all their star players as part of "The Greatest Show on Turf"... and the Patriots chose to be announced as a team. No individual accolades. One for all and all for one. And it's worked.
Besides, it was a great game. Philly put up a major fight. They'll be a force again next year - though hopefully not as much of one as the Steelers will be.
The Super Bowl also marks the beginning of the dreaded black hole of Pittsburgh sports. This city has, is, and always will be a football town, but whenever the Steelers are done playing, Mellon Arena is rocking during Penguins games. But with the NHL lockout, there's... nothing. All I can look forward to is the Pirates spring training in April??
I know I've lamented about this before, but really, this is a dire situation.
Yesterday I got to have a great writing conference with Martin, who gave me a number of ideas about magic. My magic system has a small but annoying hole in its logic regarding blocking, and I needed to hash out some ideas about what was feasible and what wasn't. Some interesting theories were proposed, including the idea of magical injury. Then I got to talk to Margaret over IM, who took the discussion one step farther and suggested that for blocks to only have 'one setting' was disanalogous (I think that's a word) to the rest of the system. Intriguing ideas. My muse will be working on this heavily.
Julie is coming up this weekend for Valentine's Day. I am happy and wary at the same time, as a number of my friends have suddenly had problems of the women variety recently. In a discussion with one of them, I brought up a Calvin and Hobbes comic which I think just about sums up the entire relations between the genders. Calvin has built a duplicator that creates a copy of himself, but it's only a copy of his good side. So he has his good side duplicate clean up his room, go to school, do his chores, etc. What he doesn't realize is that Calvin's duplicate also has a crush on Susie next door, and starts writing her love notes. He takes them over to Susie, and Susie - thinking this is Calvin - takes them as sarcasm and kicks him out. Meanwhile Calvin hears from Hobbes that the duplicate has left to give Susie love notes and he's stunned - his reputation is at stake - and sprints over to Susie's house to stop him.
Calvin: (knock knock)
Susie: You again?
Calvin(frowning): Uh oh. Was I here before?
Susie: What? Of course you were!
Calvin: Uh oh. I'm not still here, am I?
Susie: YOU'RE STANDING RIGHT THERE!
Calvin: WELL ANYONE CAN SEE THAT! AM I HERE ANYWHERE ELSE?!?
Susie's door: (slam)
Calvin(walking away): Sheesh. Who can fathom the female mind?
Hobbes: I like 'em anyway.
God must be laughing himself sick up there at his results of his two gender decision. Priceless entertainment.
Labels: Caissa, Sports, Those Of The Feminine Persuasion

<< Home