Do Not Try To Live Forever
(you will not succeed)
This quote is actually not dark at all. It is more of a calling, a realization, so people can focus on what is important. I could go into so much discussion about it - about the finality of death, and how it shapes our entire existence. There, now, three times already I've deleted entire paragraphs to the discussion. I don't want to go into it right now, mostly because its hard to cross the bridge to understanding without falling into the abyss of fear and denial.
I guess I'm just in an introspective mood.
This is probably because of what I read last night. As I mentioned before, Marla sent me an IM the other day. The IM included a link to her journal, and it is wonderful because she is putting chapters of her story in there. I am enthralled. This was the story that I mentioned a few entries ago, the Elements, and it is a pure delight to read Marla's writing again. She was one of the three 'M' s that really helped me when I was just beginning my story. Finding out that all three of them wrote themselves was a wonderful turn of events. I would kill to read anything written by any of the three, so getting the opportunity - particularly after such a long time - to experience it again made my night.
I think that's one of the things that got me introspective, though; Marla's writing has an intelligent and philosophical edge to it, so that at times you feel like you're immersed not just in the story and the characters, but in an idea. Well, that's not right. I'm not sure how to put it. But it makes you think, about which characters are right, which are wrong (sometimes both) and why.
Another reason is because it reminds me of my later years in high school and the beginning of college. Those were intense years. I had so much fun and met so many people and learned so many things. I wish I hadn't made so many mistakes - but the lessons that I learned from them burned in me, sometimes so strongly it took a long time to figure out why they still affected me so. Hell, sometimes I still think I haven't entirely figured out why I think about them all the time. But those events aren't going anywhere; they are part of my past, and can't be changed. Ah, well. I am sure that no one dies without guilt. It's more important that I use what I've learned. The mistakes serve purpose that way.
I'm going to Richmond tonight to see Julie, and then we're driving back Sunday morning/afternoon. Normally, this would impinge on the game, but the Steelers are playing on Saturday at 1:30 PM this weekend. Score! Nate, Margaret, Claire, and all other kick-ass Stillers fans know what I'm talking about. Oh yeah! This season has been absolutely incredible. I've watched every game. The whole city has near lost its mind over it - every day the paper has 4 articles on the Steelers, and don't get me started on the Sunday GameDay or Monday Quarterback editions that have the approximate weight of Marlon Brando. This town has, does, and will always love the Steelers. It's one of the binding glues of the city that makes Pittsburgh...Pittsburgh, like the crazy hills and the rivers and the ability to order a sandwich and have fries and coleslaw end up in the sandwich without even ordering either. Which reminds me of a riotous takeoff of a Christmas Carol that's being played around Pittsburgh - "Santa Claus Is Comin Dahntahn" - the Pittsburghese version of Santa Claus Is Coming To Town that is impossible to keep a straight face throughout. If you don't know how to sing in a Pittsburghese accent, then sing this out loud, and congratulate yourself on learning new Pittsburgh words at the same time.
Yinz better wahtch aht
Yinz better not paht
Yinz better not cry,
I'm tellin yinz (hauscome?)
Santa Claus is comin dahntahn
He's makin a list
He's checkin it aht
He's gowen find aht who's nebby an 'at
Santa Claus is comin dahntahn
He knows if yinz's a jagoff
He can see inside your haus
He knows if you've been workin hard
Or sittin on your caach (caach caach caach)
Yinz better wahtch aht
Yinz better not paht
Yinz better not cry,
I'm tellin yinz (hauscome?)
Santa Claus is comin dahntahn
This quote is actually not dark at all. It is more of a calling, a realization, so people can focus on what is important. I could go into so much discussion about it - about the finality of death, and how it shapes our entire existence. There, now, three times already I've deleted entire paragraphs to the discussion. I don't want to go into it right now, mostly because its hard to cross the bridge to understanding without falling into the abyss of fear and denial.
I guess I'm just in an introspective mood.
This is probably because of what I read last night. As I mentioned before, Marla sent me an IM the other day. The IM included a link to her journal, and it is wonderful because she is putting chapters of her story in there. I am enthralled. This was the story that I mentioned a few entries ago, the Elements, and it is a pure delight to read Marla's writing again. She was one of the three 'M' s that really helped me when I was just beginning my story. Finding out that all three of them wrote themselves was a wonderful turn of events. I would kill to read anything written by any of the three, so getting the opportunity - particularly after such a long time - to experience it again made my night.
I think that's one of the things that got me introspective, though; Marla's writing has an intelligent and philosophical edge to it, so that at times you feel like you're immersed not just in the story and the characters, but in an idea. Well, that's not right. I'm not sure how to put it. But it makes you think, about which characters are right, which are wrong (sometimes both) and why.
Another reason is because it reminds me of my later years in high school and the beginning of college. Those were intense years. I had so much fun and met so many people and learned so many things. I wish I hadn't made so many mistakes - but the lessons that I learned from them burned in me, sometimes so strongly it took a long time to figure out why they still affected me so. Hell, sometimes I still think I haven't entirely figured out why I think about them all the time. But those events aren't going anywhere; they are part of my past, and can't be changed. Ah, well. I am sure that no one dies without guilt. It's more important that I use what I've learned. The mistakes serve purpose that way.
I'm going to Richmond tonight to see Julie, and then we're driving back Sunday morning/afternoon. Normally, this would impinge on the game, but the Steelers are playing on Saturday at 1:30 PM this weekend. Score! Nate, Margaret, Claire, and all other kick-ass Stillers fans know what I'm talking about. Oh yeah! This season has been absolutely incredible. I've watched every game. The whole city has near lost its mind over it - every day the paper has 4 articles on the Steelers, and don't get me started on the Sunday GameDay or Monday Quarterback editions that have the approximate weight of Marlon Brando. This town has, does, and will always love the Steelers. It's one of the binding glues of the city that makes Pittsburgh...Pittsburgh, like the crazy hills and the rivers and the ability to order a sandwich and have fries and coleslaw end up in the sandwich without even ordering either. Which reminds me of a riotous takeoff of a Christmas Carol that's being played around Pittsburgh - "Santa Claus Is Comin Dahntahn" - the Pittsburghese version of Santa Claus Is Coming To Town that is impossible to keep a straight face throughout. If you don't know how to sing in a Pittsburghese accent, then sing this out loud, and congratulate yourself on learning new Pittsburgh words at the same time.
Yinz better wahtch aht
Yinz better not paht
Yinz better not cry,
I'm tellin yinz (hauscome?)
Santa Claus is comin dahntahn
He's makin a list
He's checkin it aht
He's gowen find aht who's nebby an 'at
Santa Claus is comin dahntahn
He knows if yinz's a jagoff
He can see inside your haus
He knows if you've been workin hard
Or sittin on your caach (caach caach caach)
Yinz better wahtch aht
Yinz better not paht
Yinz better not cry,
I'm tellin yinz (hauscome?)
Santa Claus is comin dahntahn
Labels: Forest Not Trees, Sports

<< Home