Name:
Location: Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania, United States

Monday, February 14, 2005

Happy Valentine's Day

(if you're single)

I re-read my previous post today and boy, did it have some feeling behind it. Some people are uncomfortable with putting their emotions down on paper. Not me. Go back and look at the very first entry of this blog. I write this for myself first, to help myself sort out my own feelings and have a record of my own thoughts. If people want to come along for the ride, that's all well and good, but I won't hold back what I think or feel for anyone. So if you don't like posts like the previous one, well, get out now.
You've been warned. :)
In all actuality, my friend Dave sent me an e-mail today about that post that was simply wonderful. It really helped me pull out of the bitter mood I was in and gave me an outside perspective on what I had been doing these last years. The e-mail was long and kind, and that kind of reassurance is invaluable.
I have come to realize over the years - later than I should have, but realized all the same - that there are few things more valuable than friends who will stick up for you without question.

I'm still at work here, at 8:15 PM and will be for a bit longer. I had a very good breakthrough in my code late this afternoon. Database programming is very different from procedural programming. It requires looking at the code in an entirely different way. It's kind of like spending an entire day upside down. At the beginning, everything's backwards and you can't go anywhere without bumping into anything. But after a while, your brain compensates and you realize it's all the same thing, just flipped over. And then your brain adjusts, and you can start doing everything you normally would, and suddenly you cease to think of everything as being flipped over. It's just a different way of looking at it.
That was the breakthrough I had at about 3:30 PM. I fixed three serious bugs in my program and am cooking along to the final portion of the code. It has to be done by the 17th, but I want to try and get it done quicker. After missing so much work in January, I am here to kick ass and take names. This job is my livelihood and I won't give it up lightly.

One note that I think is particularly appropriate on this supposed day of love: All you singles out there! Particularly those who dread this day as some kind of announcement that you are lacking in some way! You have the rest of your life to be furious, confused, and bewildered courtesy of the opposite gender, in which you will personally utter, "How do women and men even live on the same planet?" Enjoy your singleness, your freedom to look over the opposite gender like looking at apples in a grocery store, your open nights and your available status. Remember, St. Valentine was having a deep relationship with a woman in the 400's, in which he was rumored to sign in his notes, "From your Valentine." He was then executed for having an affair with the opposite sex. The moral of the story? Romance with the opposite sex sometimes kills.
Perhaps we should all go gay.
My valentines go out to all the singles out there. Take heart.

Labels: ,