Avanon Reached For The Skillet
(he was really pounding the bacon)
Priceless quote from tonight. And we all know the phrase "he was really pounding the bacon" has all sorts of good uses around the home.
I got to talk to Barbara tonight, which was wonderful. There may not be a nicer person alive than Barbara. She sent me 15 IM's the other day thanking me for our shared experiences at Villanova, which is amazing since I learned a lot more from her than vice versa. Getting to talk to her again was great. She had spent quite a while in Nicaragua as a nurse. That's just the type of person she is, bless her soul.
Then, tonight, Martin and I shunned our usual Eat N' Park writing conference for an Olive Garden writing conference. The results were fantastic - great food, great breadsticks, great service and a great story. We went from scratch to 15 page short story (Martin's assignment) and it freaking rocks. One of the characters, Avanon, has somewhere along the line developed a habit for always eating bacon - hence the above - which was cracking me up the whole night. But really, the pure pleasure of brainstorming, creating, bouncing ideas off of one each other, it was a great night. And seeing as how the first 15 page story that received this treatment got rave reviews (One reviewer stated that she "couldn't put it down and had to see how it ended", one of many great comments) and Martin was skipping for joy. I clearly remember the first time I let someone read a story of mine, how insanely nervous I was, how I sweated for an entire day and night. Bless Margaret, Martin, and Marla for giving me the confidence I so desperately needed in those early days to read my work, come back to me and say, "Yup, you're a writer." At that point, it's not about polished skills, good pacing or good characterization; simply, can you write an interesting story. I still remember that validation because, as mild as it was, those comments became the cornerstone of my writing self-esteem. So it was amusing and rewarding to see such great comments on Martin's paper.
I'm going to try to get the first good night of sleep I've had in a while. Tomorrow is the last day of work for me this week - Good Friday off! - so I want to be able to leave if I can't resist the temptation of a long weekend anymore.
It's BACON!
Priceless quote from tonight. And we all know the phrase "he was really pounding the bacon" has all sorts of good uses around the home.
I got to talk to Barbara tonight, which was wonderful. There may not be a nicer person alive than Barbara. She sent me 15 IM's the other day thanking me for our shared experiences at Villanova, which is amazing since I learned a lot more from her than vice versa. Getting to talk to her again was great. She had spent quite a while in Nicaragua as a nurse. That's just the type of person she is, bless her soul.
Then, tonight, Martin and I shunned our usual Eat N' Park writing conference for an Olive Garden writing conference. The results were fantastic - great food, great breadsticks, great service and a great story. We went from scratch to 15 page short story (Martin's assignment) and it freaking rocks. One of the characters, Avanon, has somewhere along the line developed a habit for always eating bacon - hence the above - which was cracking me up the whole night. But really, the pure pleasure of brainstorming, creating, bouncing ideas off of one each other, it was a great night. And seeing as how the first 15 page story that received this treatment got rave reviews (One reviewer stated that she "couldn't put it down and had to see how it ended", one of many great comments) and Martin was skipping for joy. I clearly remember the first time I let someone read a story of mine, how insanely nervous I was, how I sweated for an entire day and night. Bless Margaret, Martin, and Marla for giving me the confidence I so desperately needed in those early days to read my work, come back to me and say, "Yup, you're a writer." At that point, it's not about polished skills, good pacing or good characterization; simply, can you write an interesting story. I still remember that validation because, as mild as it was, those comments became the cornerstone of my writing self-esteem. So it was amusing and rewarding to see such great comments on Martin's paper.
I'm going to try to get the first good night of sleep I've had in a while. Tomorrow is the last day of work for me this week - Good Friday off! - so I want to be able to leave if I can't resist the temptation of a long weekend anymore.
It's BACON!
Labels: Caissa, Friendship

<< Home