Name:
Location: Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania, United States

Monday, March 14, 2005

What We Blog In Life

(echoes in eternity)

Today was a rollercoaster emotional day.
As for above, my friend Dave recently watched Gladiator and can't stop quoting from it. I am fine with this. Not only is Gladiator one of the most quotable movies of all time, I personally love it. So quotes have been flying around of all kinds, some bordering on the edge of insanity. "Remind me, but didn't the Connecticutians LOSE the battle to leave work early?" was really teetering for a while.

My mood did a complete 180 a few hours later.
You know how music can really inspire emotion occasionally, particularly if the song is heartfelt and the lyrics meaningful? Rage, sadness, loss, confusion, any emotion you want... well I got freaking blitzkrieged. I was listening to a CD and song after song after song pelted me. I realized that I was sitting at my desk, not actually coding, just overwhelmed by the music. Every time I thought I had gotten a handle a new song came on and swept out the rug again.
I only made it to track 9. Maybe the songs were written, created to instill that emotion; maybe I was reading into the lyrics in ways that only I could; but either way, I was getting absolutely overwhelmed. I shut off everything (I had worked 10 hours anyway) and went home.

The whole way there my mind was alternatively racing and floating around. I hated it but couldn't stop it. So many thoughts that they were just overwhelming. Dark thoughts, past thoughts, confused thoughts.
So I went home and - I believe God was planning this - Julie called and asked how my day was and exactly what I was thinking. And I let loose. Cannon fire. Send in the dogs. Hide the women and children. Three-alarm fire in the kitchen sink.
And miraculously, after some heated discussion, it worked out. Perfectly. We talked, we agreed, we learned. Or to be more specific, I did on some matters. She did on others. And we came to exactly the same realization - to let it go.
And the thoughts melted away.

If you're confused, so am I. What a crazy, insane world this is.
But remind me to never deny someone a second chance, even if you expect the worst. There is the very slim chance you might get the best.

Labels: ,