Name:
Location: Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania, United States

Monday, June 13, 2005

Lessons

(of life)

Sometimes it's good to take a moment to look back and appreciate those little curves, potholes, and turns in the road that got you to where you were today. 'Stop and smell the roses' is close, but denotes an appreciation of the present. I refer to an appreciation of the past. I mean to stop and remember the scent of roses.
Some people argue that they are too busy in their lives to do that now, or ever do that. On the contrary, I think that is the time when it is most needed. And as this is one post I started and couldn't finish because of how busy I am... now is the perfect time to finish it.
I found myself thinking about all the important lessons I had learned over the years, from acquaintances to friends to chance meetings. And I realized that I had learned something important from almost everyone - friend, acquaintance, chance meeting.
Some people, I've learned 20 things from. Some, only a single gleaming truth. Some were mild tweaks to my view of the world. Some gradually molded my opinions. Some were like a 2x4 to the head.
But I list only one.

From Marla, I learned that a sentence could be beautiful irrespective of what it says.
From Liam, I learned the value in watching an old black-and-white movie.
From Jeff, I learned that a friendship born of good times isn't diminished by deep thoughts or trying times, and instead, grew stronger.
From Barbara, I learned what it was like to be totally selfless, in love, life, and everything else.
From Jess, I learned that friendship could cross distance and time.
From Bryan, I learned that computers could - with the right set of magic words - do amazing things.
From Christoph, I learned the value of tenacity, particularly in the face of adversity.
From Tiffany, I learned to accept others' different lifestyles.
From Julie, I learned love.
From Tom, I learned that, when considering a person's faults, you might be surprised at their merits.
From Martin, I learned the creative spark imbued in the muse of humankind is a wonderful thing to cultivate and encourage.
From Geoff, I learned video games could be a medium for story and character in epic fashion.
From Margaret, I learned that you don't know what you have til its gone.
From Nate, I learned that casual friendship is easy - real friendship takes effort.
From Dave, I learned the undescriable camerarderie of intense competition with friends.

And from Sitiani, I learned that if your plant does not have enough sunlight and water, regardless of whether you rig a rope-and-pulley system to the ceiling to hoist your plant above the ever-growing wall of Code Red Mountain Dew cans filling your 11-foot tall window, it will commit suicide by leaping off its intricate support system directly into the wastebasket below while you are in the shower.
That one really hit home.

Labels: , ,