Name:
Location: Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania, United States

Thursday, December 30, 2004

It Puts The Lotion In The Basket

(or else it gets the hose again)

The tale of womanly strangeness continues.

So last night I came home from work, opened the door, and Julie handed me a glass of wine. "Here you go," she said, before I even got to take off my backpack or coat. "And your dinner is ready too," she added, reaching behind her and holding a plate of steaming hot chicken, broccoli, and rice. Steam was literally rising off of the food. It was like something out of the movies, it was so perfect. What made it all the more amazing was that she made it in what I would describe as - and this is as kindly as it can be put - absolute squalor. The tsunami that killed 80,000+ and took out half of South Asia? I think it originated from my room. It is the worst its ever been, by far, and somehow Julie managed to come up with this meal despite me not having a clean plate, glass, one pot and no cookie sheets, which makes me really impressed that she also somehow baked chocolate chip cookies. It was like something out of 1950. Absolutely incredible.
So I put on some nice background music - which ended up going into Final Fantasy Piano list, go figure - and we had a fantastic meal. The kicker - the wine was a Chianti. Now I never have seen the word spelled, so I was reading it going, "What wine is this?" I'm not a big alcohol drinker, and while I like wine - particularly for its artery-clearing effects - the tannens in cabernet sauvignon tend to give me a distant but noticeable headache (not unpleasant, but still not wild). But this wine had none of those effects. I was trying to pronounce it out loud, and all of the sudden it hit me and I said, "I ate his liver!"
Julie: "...What?"
Mat: "With some fava beans, and a nice Chianti."
Julie: "........"
Mat: "SPHPHPFTFPHTFPHT"
Which is the best way I could spell the quote from Silence of the Lambs. But it's all I could think about for the remainder of the dinner.
In short, it was absolutely incredible. Yet another reason I can't just totally dismiss Julie or her faults. She can occasionally do things people would kill for, she can occasionally do things people would kill her for, and the truth is somewhere in the middle.
Women: Can't live with 'em, can't live without 'em, curse you Truth!
Right now - and for the foreseeable future - inexclusivity is exactly what is needed, so we can both figure out what we want. But seeing each other has been good. It has really improved my holiday. As they say, who knows what tomorrow will bring, but enjoy today.

On top of this work is a blast because I've been listening to the 'Yings and Yangs' CD that Jess gave me for Christmas. It just came in the mail and it ROCKS. There's not a single bad song on a 16-track CD, and it's split right down the middle of songs I know and songs I don't. Perfect. The choice of songs seem thought out as well, and the songs seem especially meaningful in their order. (The CD includes favorities of mine 'Mary Jane's Last Dance' by Tom Petty and the Heartbreakers, 'Another Brick In the Wall Part 2' by Pink Floyd, and 'Hotel California' by the Eagles, songs I've heard and liked but never owned like 'Lady' by Lenny Kravitz and 'This Love' by Maroon 5, and songs I've never heard but absolutely love like 'She Will Be Loved' by Maroon 5, 'No One But You' by Unknown, and 'Mad World' by Gary Jules.) Interspersing this CD with my crazy, enigmatic CD folder of choices (prior this was AFI - Sing the Sorrow) and work is just flying along.
I'll have to send my present back her way pronto!

Assisting this is the fact that DW wrote a great post about his 2004 year. I wish I could remember what happened to me last week, much less over the last year... my memory is such a blur. This blog is merely stemming the bleeding.

Lastly, I should be seeing Martin and Margaret soon (if Martin ever gets back from Vegas), Barb could be stopping by on the way back to Philly, the guys are coming down for a weekend bonanza of sports, poker, and camaraderie, and the Steelers are already guaranteed a first-round bye in the playoffs!

The year is ending on a good note :)

Tomorrow: The Insane Awards of 2004, as promised a week ago.


'Mad World' (with changes)
Children waiting for the day they feel good
Happy Birthday, Happy Birthday
When they feel the way that every child should
sit and listen, sit and listen
Went to school and I was very nervous
no one knew me, no one knew me
Hello Teacher tell me what's my purpose
look right through me, you looked right through me


And I find it kind of funny
I find it kind of sad
The dreams in which I'm dying
are the best I've ever had
I find it hard to tell you
I find it hard to take
When people run in circles
it's a very very... mad world

All around me are familiar faces
worn out places, worn out faces
Bright and early for the daily races
going nowhere, you're going nowhere
The tears are filling up their glasses
no expression, no expression
Hide my head I want to drown my sorrow
no tomorrow, there's no tomorrow

Labels: ,